CORM Provides Semen Analysis to Couples with Questions about Infertility
If a couple is having trouble conceiving a child, their doctor may suggest a semen analysis test for the husband as an initial step. The semen analysis is non-invasive and relatively inexpensive and may provide immediate information as to why conception has not been achieved. A reputable infertility clinic such as the Center of Reproductive Medicine has reproductive specialists that can perform the evaluation. The reproductive specialists at CORM want to empower men and women to recognize and understand not only how the analysis is performed, but what the results indicate.
In order to get an accurate semen analysis, men should know the fertility test involves the following steps:
- Abstaining from ejaculation for two to three days before the test.
- Collecting a sample into a sterile collection cup either at home or at the doctor’s office.
- Maintaining the sample at room to body temperature and delivering it promptly if done at home.
- A semen analysis should be repeated at least three times over several months.
The semen analysis will not confirm the fertility potential of the male but may identify the need for assisted reproductive techniques such as intrauterine insemination or in vitro fertilization. The semen analysis is also required to confirm the absence of sperm following a vasectomy.
Semen Analysis Findings are Only Part of Your Fertility Report
Just as you would in the birth of your child, the couple should both be present when the doctor discusses the results of the semen analysis so that both partners understand the implications. The semen analysis report includes:
- Any abnormalities in sperm count, morphology (shape), or motility (movement and progression).
- The amount of semen produced (volume)
- Number of sperm per milliliter of semen (concentration)
- Absence or presence of white blood cells
Your fertility doctors at CORM will evaluate your semen analysis with great care. During your consultation, they will discuss what will be studied and what the indicating factors actually mean so that you can begin the necessary steps to start a family. Call us today if you are seeking open and helpful information about a semen analysis test in Houston. We are here to help.